Monday, March 23, 2015

Taking a Toddler to Church


Taking a toddler to church is kind of like disarming a bomb.  You have 3 colors of cords red, blue and yellow cut the wrong one and the bomb explodes, cut the right one and you are safe.  This is how I feel when taking Evelyn to church.   Some days I cut the right cord and some days we blow up.  This particular Sunday was not a good day.  Sometimes when I have to take her out I feel glares from others.  Why cant I control her?  Why is she screaming?  Haven’t they taught her to behave any better?  Sometimes its hard to be positive and keep coming each week.  There really are some Sundays I want to cry, and have.  I remember once taking Evelyn and putting her back in the car so that I could just cry.  After composing myself I took her back in, but boy was it tempting just to go home.   It is comforting though to hear comforting words from more experienced moms.  They tell me to hang in there, or to keep trying and it does get better.  It is those comments that keep me coming back.  I want my daughter to love this gospel as much as Josh and I do and I know with time and patience she will.  We try to be better each Sunday.  We are going to get there right?
Before

After

2 comments:

bjarnason family said...

Oh Lexy I could seriously write a book on this one! I'm pretty sure I walked the halls for 3 years straight with my boys. Sunbeams for Sam was complete torture for both he and I. The worse weeks were when he would gag himself to throw up hoping I wouldn't make him go. It horrified me that he hated church so much that he would do this (the Lord only know where he figured that one out!). I would pray each day that I would go every week if the Lord would promise me one day he would serve a faithful mission. The Primary presidency at that time was less than helpful and rather critical as we learned of Sam special needs and how to deal with them. When we moved to Utah things got significantly better. Hang in there momma, the blessings of your faithfulness will come. Call me anytime you want to vent! Love you much.

Telsha Winger & fam said...

You may not know me but I went to school with Josh. I just had to let you know I am right there with you! My daughter will be two next week and I have done my fair share of crying in the parking lot as well. She is my third and you would think I would have this down but each child has such different temperaments and this one is giving me a run for my money. :) Just keep going! It will get easier. My mom always tells me church is not for me right now but it is for my kids. We just need to make sure they know how important it is to be there and do our best. One Sunday at a time!!